R.I.P. (Rust In Portugal)

I noticed that someone calling himself "RIP" left a comment on a post I wrote a couple of days ago. Curious, I clicked on his name. The site, "R.I.P. - Rust In Portugal", came up...

This is a cool site!

According to the author, "In Portugal the laws concerning automobiles are very strict. To drive on the roads legally your car needs to be inspected ever year and has to be mechanically and structurally perfect and can not suffer any type of modifications. Basically it needs to be exactly how it came from the factory. That's why you don't see any customs, hotrods or rat rods over here. So what happens to all classic cars is they either get restored, which can be very expensive, or they end up in scrapyards, lost in a barns or abandoned in fields."

The author has photographed hundreds of old cars in Portugal. Cars that are no longer street legal, but, in some cases, could (and should) be restored.

How cool would it be to bring these cars to the US and restore them? That's probably completely impractical, but it's a cool dream.

When you have an hour or so to kill (which I didn't, but I couldn't pull myself away from the site), check it out.

R.I.P. - Rust In Portugal can be found here.