What's the Auto Marketing Blog?


So how did you end up here? An interest in cars? An interest in marketing? Either way you're at the right place. This blog will be my attempt to follow trends in the Automotive Marketing space, focusing primarily on the U.S. but I'm sure I'll occasionally cover some International trends as well. I hope the blog is informative, intelligent and provides a good laugh at times and I hope you too find reason to post some responses and thoughts of your own as you read posts here.

I should probably explain who I am. I am currently a Senior Digital Brand Strategist with Wunderman (part of the WPP marketing firms) where I work on digital projects for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury out of Dearborn, Michigan. I have worked for a few other automotive firms including Chrysler and General Motors where I also participated in a variety of digital marketing efforts. My professional career is now 14 years long, but not all in automotive, in fact I have worked for or with the following firms: Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Microsoft, Honeywell, and several private firms. Educationally, I hold a MBA from the University of Michigan and a Bachelor's degree in English Literature from Hillsdale College.

A brief personal automotive history, I started my love of cars with probably the worst car ever built - a Chevy Vega - I bought for $300 back in the late 1980s. That didn't last long, after weeks of trying to fix the car's brakes, replacing 2 master cylinders and having no luck ever getting it resolved, one rainy evening in Portland, Oregon I made a sharp turn and pressed the brake pedal to the floor and glided ever so gently into a light post. Oh well, life did get better as I later owned a beautiful 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang and currently own a 2007 BMW 335i convertible. After a rough start, I am now driving my 'reality' dream car. My fantasy dream car is a 1961 Ferrari GT 250 California, but then again whose isn't if you have ever watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

I am definitely a BMW brand advocate, but I love all kinds of makes and their contribution to automotive history and am definitely a car nut, but I'm also a marketing nut. Combining my two loves is a passion of mine and that's why I think this blog will be a compelling read for many who stop by. Whatever the original reason, I'm sure you'll find what I write compelling from many angles.

Well enough pontificating. It's time for me to get a real post on this blog. Thanks for stopping by and let me know what you think, how I can improve the blog, or if you have any topics to suggest.

Thanks!
Christopher Baccus

PS - While I do work for Wunderman, this blog is a collection of my own thoughts and in no way represents the views or perspectives of Wunderman or any WPP company. I also will not cover any in depth analysis of Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury's work since I am often involved directly or indirectly in strategic efforts for these companies and will not provide any insight to where that work is heading directionally as it would intrude upon my work with our clients.