Dodge Super Bowl Spoof: Woman's Last Stand



The Dodge ad "Man's Last Stand" was just begging to be mocked and mocked it has. McKenzie Fegan, a New York producer, created "Woman's Last Stand" in response to the Dodge Super Bowl spot.

Unfortunately there is no car featured in a woman's last stand though plenty of snarky lines are featured in the video spoof. A few lines from McKenzie's spoof include, "I will assert myself and will get called a bitch... I will assure you that size doesn't matter... I will see Paul Blart: Mall Cop twice."

I do hope I get credit for spoofing the Dodge ad first. In my Super Bowl ad review I made the following suggestion:
Personally, I felt the ad followed a common theme of Super Bowl marketing: It’s okay to make fun of boring middle-aged men. It’s the last segment of the population that is fair game to mock. Can you imagine the uproar if this concept were reversed?

Women staring blankly at the camera with voiceover by Weed’s star Mary-Louise Parker saying, “I will get the kids ready for school, kiss you goodbye and rush to get ready for my job. I will pretend to understand why you care if a team wins a game. I will fake an orgasm this weekend.” Oh wait, maybe this concept does work. Now what car would go roaring down the highway in the female gender version? BMW Z4 sDrive 35i with a manual transmission to beat the pants off that automatic only offered Dodge Charger.

Others Weigh In

Creative Officer and Chief Social Media Officer for Mullen, Edward Broches (@edwardboches), comments on the spoof and original Dodge Super Bowl ad in his blog Creativity Unbound:
"In fact you could argue that based on the type of guy Dodge appears to be “targeting” whatever attention this video generates is a good thing, reinforcing the brand’s desired image. You could even go a step further and argue that Dodge and its agency Weiden and Kennedy would have been smart to inspire the creation of this and similar opposing messages in order to generate buzz and call further attention to the original spot. Alas it turns out they’re not quite that clever or surreptitious."
I guess Edward doesn't read my blog on a daily basis. Big shock I know. But Dodge and Weiden+Kennedy were smart enough to create an opposing message ad. Sure it's not exactly what Mr. Broches alludes to, something in a similar vain of a Woman's Last Stand; instead, Dodge decided to give women their own sense of attitude in the "We Make Getaway Cars" spot featuring a fed up woman who does a burnout off into the night, leaving her sniveling man behind in the smoke of burnt rubber.

Whatever the response, the Dodge Super Bowl ad definitely made its mark on popular culture and is starting to separate itself from many of the forgetable ads from a week ago. Perhaps Dodge and Weiden+Kennedy actually know what they are doing and are creating ads with some attitude and differentiation that demand attention and, yes, even mockery.