One Bizarre 1968 Skoda 1202 Combi...

I've been fairly busy these past few weeks and I'm just now starting to catch up on my e-mail. I apologize to anyone who hasn't gotten a response from me yet. I'm not ignoring you and will reply as soon as I can.

Anyway... I received an e-mail from JaCG reader Michael in Sydney, Australia. In it was a link to this car. Take a look at the picture above. Then take a look at the picture below.

Notice anything different? Yep, this car has 2 doors on one side and one on the other. I can't recall any other car from the 1960s that was built this way.

This arrangement made sense in Czechoslovakia where they drive on the right like we do. The rear passengers exited onto the sidewalk. What makes this interesting is that it's RHD for Australia. In Australia the rear passengers had to exit into traffic.

The seller believes the car was imported for the Czechoslovakian Consulate. He states that in his 10 years of ownership, he's never heard of another one in Australia. I'm guessing here, but I can't imagine that Skoda would have produced a RHD version for commercial sale given that the only way out of the rear seat is into oncoming traffic. I suspect that they only made a few for diplomats in Australia, Japan, Great Britain, etc. That would make this already rare car (How many 1202 Combis can there be left in the world?) incredibly rare.

This car needs restoration, but is complete and intact. The seller includes a lot of details in his ad.

This is just one of those truly bizarre cars that I love finding and looking at.

Located in Mount Druitt, NSW, Australia, click here to see the Gumtree listing.

Thanks again to Michael for sending me this link.