Weekend Quickies - Saturday June 5, 2010

1960 Pininfarina X - A friend sent me the link to this car. This is pretty cool and very bizarre. At first glance, it looks like a 3 wheeler. It's not. The car has one wheel in the front, two in the middle and one in the back. With only one wheel in the front, the front was very narrow and, for its day, very aerodynamic.

The idea was that with four wheels, this car would handle better than a 3 wheeler. I can imagine that it was still a handful to drive.

Pininfarina tried, unsuccessfully, to get various manufacturers to put the X into production.

Below is a picture of the X undergoing testing, circa 1960.

Located in Fort Lauderdale, FL, the asking price for this car is $1,350,000.00 ("X-clusivity" has its price, I guess). You can find the Jameslist ad here.

1995 Jaguar XJR - As I've said so many times, I am in no way qualified to predict the future value of cars. Having said that, I suspect the XJR is close to the bottom of the depreciation curve and prices will slowly start to rise in the near future.

This was the first Jaguar to use any type of forced air induction. The supercharged 4.0 liter six put out 322 HP and moved the car to 60 MPH in 6.6 seconds. Jaguar tweaked the suspension for better handling and the brakes stopped the car in just 116 feet from 60 MPH.

I remember reading somewhere that only 500 US spec XJRs were built in 1995, making this a fairly rare car.

By the 1990s Jaguars had become fairly reliable cars (though not up to German and Japanese standards), however when they do break, parts are extremely expensive.

This car has 126,000 miles on it, but the seller says it has been dealer maintained. The asking price is $4600.00 or best offer.

Located in East Longmeadow, MA, click here to see the Craigslist ad.

A big thanks to Jon for sending me the link to this car.

1962 Corvair Monza Station Wagon - When I was in my teens, I tried to create a car very, very similar to this. This is a 1962 Corvair station wagon with a 140 HP engine in it. The 140 wasn't introduced until 1965, but it was essentially a bolt in transplant.

This car started life as a very rare Monza wagon. The seller added the 140 engine, a 4 speed manual transmission, front and rear sway bars and 15" wheels.

My station wagon started life as a more common, lower spec, "500" wagon. I took out the front bench seat and put in buckets. I replaced the engine with a 140 and the 2 speed Powerglide transmission with a 4 speed manual. I also put in a Spyder dash. I was going to put sway bars on it, but some bastard (or bastards) stole it before I got a chance to. He (she, they, I have no idea since no one was ever arrested for stealing it - I suspect the police didn't spend much time looking for someone who stole an old Corvair station wagon) beat the hell out of it and then ditched it in a lake. It was beyond repair.

The only good thing is that when I bought my Corvairs (I had a few) in the mid-late 70s, they were worthless. I think for the car and all the parts I was into it for less than $600.00! It sucks having any car stolen, but at least I hadn't sunk a lot of money into it. (Just time and sweat, which I guess counts for something.)

I look at this car and think about what could have been...

Corvairs are no longer worthless and I suspect this one will go for top dollar. Located in Hickory, NC, click here to see the Craigslist ad.