Weekend Quickies - Saturday, July 3, 2010

1991 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo - "This car has been built as a no expense spared, best of both worlds hyper-car that will take you and the Mrs. to dinner and smoke your friend's Enzo on the way to the restaurant." That line in the ad just struck me as kind of funny. I'm envisioning the reaction of most (all) of the women I've dated if, on the way to dinner, I suddenly decided to race an Enzo.

Anyway...

If you're looking for a VERY purple, VERY fast Porsche 911 Carrera Twin Turbo, this is it. According to the seller, this "3.8 Liter Twin-Turbo Flat 6 putting a legitimate, dyno-proven 739hp to the rear wheels." You'll need to use racing fuel to get that kind of power, however. On regular street fuel you can lower the boost and still get 631 HP out of it. As you would expect, just about every other part of this car has been modified to take all that power. The seller claims that there is over $200K invested in this car.

Located in Pasadena, CA, click here to see the eBay listing.

1985 Jaguar XJ(slant)6 - I've never seen this done before and I don't really get the point... This 1985 Jaguar XJ6 now has a Chrysler 225ci Slant Six engine in it.

The Slant Six is probably one of the most durable engines ever built. In the days when engines usually needed to be replaced or rebuilt at 100,000 miles, the Slant Six would easily go for 200,000 miles or more.

While the Slant Six is a legendary engine, it's not one of the more powerful engines ever built. Horsepower ranged from a low of 100 to a high of 145. The straight 6 that came in the Jaguar made 176 HP.

I sort of understand the Chevy V8 conversions often done to Jaguars (Although it seems like a waste of money to me, as the Jag 6 is a very good engine that is very durable if maintained. It's all the stuff around it that tends to fail on older Jags.), but this makes little sense to me. Still, it's an interesting piece of engineering.

Located in Algoma, WI, click here to see the Craigslist ad. You can see 14 pictures of the car by clicking here.

1974 Saab Sonett III - Many will disagree, but to me the Sonett III was the best. Admittedly it lost a bit of its "Saabness" - gone was the column mounted shifter and long gone was the 2 stroke engine, replaced by a Ford V4 - but it became an easy to drive, modern sports car.

The Sonett III had an Italian "inspired" design to it, meaning that it was originally designed by by Sergio Coggiola but then altered by Saab's Gunnar Sjögren.

This car has recently had its engine rebuilt and based on the condition the rest of the car is in, probably underwent a full restoration at some point.

Sonetts have been slowly increasing in price, but are still a relative bargain.

Located in North Scottsdale, AZ, click here to see the Craigslist ad.

The New Beater... I'm buying a car sight unseen. Completely unseen. I haven't even seen a picture of it. If it ran me over tonight, I wouldn't know it was my car that hit me.

If you've been following this blog for awhile you know that I've been looking for a beater, something to replace my Grand Cherokee, whose transmission packed it in last year.

I need something with some cargo space, but I really didn't want another SUV. I started looking at station wagons. Last month I found one. (That's not 100% true, it sort of found me, via a friend. More on that in a minute...)

Is it a Mercedes 300TE? Nope. A BMW 530iT? Negative. An Audi A4? Nein. Maybe a Volvo 850? Guess again. It's a (drum roll and a big "tah-dah" here)...

1992 Peugeot 505. Yep, I bought a 1992 Peugeot 505 station wagon sight unseen.

A few years ago a friend of mine took a new job. In an e-mail she mentioned that one of her co-workers drove a Peugeot. "Cool.", I replied. I went on to tell her that I had a few Peugeots in my lifetime, liked them all, and then said "Let me know if he ever wants to sell it." Last month he decided to do just that. My friend remembered our e-mail exchange from 3 years ago and called me. I asked her to give me some details about it and, after hearing her description (she's very knowledgeable about cars), I committed to buying it.

The price is absurdly reasonable. (4 of us spent more money on dinner, drinks and the tip at a French restaurant last month.) The car sounds like it's very clean (small dent in one quarter panel and little, if any, rust). It runs, drives and has very few problems. (The blower fan needs to be on at all times... It doesn't always go back on if you turn it off. One rear door handle doesn't work.) It's blue. It has 145,000 or so miles on it. It has a normally aspirated 2.2 and an automatic. That's about all I know. That's about all I need to know. I can't wait to get it.

I won't get the car until the end of the month. The seller is still driving it and wants to keep it until the inspection sticker runs out. After that it will join my BMW in the driveway.

On Monday I'm actually going to look at the car. Not that seeing it will change my mind about it. At this point it could be Christine and I'd still buy it. I already love it. I just want to start my relationship with it a little early.