1984 BMW 323i Pick Up Truck

I first saw this car listed for sale about 2 years ago. I was going to write about it then, but I couldn't find anything about this being "authorized by BMW", as the seller states.

I still can't find anything about the history of this car. It's possible that BMW built a few of these as design studies or to use as a parts hauler around the factory, I guess.

No matter who built it, somebody (or a few somebodies) put a ton of work into it. Besides turning a 3 Series into a truck, they did a lot of custom performance work, using a lot of (expensive) Hartge parts. It's very well done.

Being very well done doesn't mean it's good looking, however. I like small pick ups and I love BMWs, but I'm having a tough time with this. It would definitely look better without the graphics, but still... It's just not "right".

This is the type of vehicle that would stop people in their tracks as you drove it down the road. It would be a star at any German car show. There's a lot to be said for that, but if I were going to drop $18,000.00 on another BMW today, I'd buy a nice used, stock, M Coupe. This is a vehicle for someone who wants something truly unique.

Located in Lake Barrington, IL, click here to see the Craigslist ad.