2005 Ford Focus Saleen S121

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like Steve Saleen. I wish I was a bigger fan of Fords. I'd buy some sort of Saleen version.

I met Steve Saleen once. To make a long story short, back in the early nineties a friend of mine had a teenage cousin who was getting himself in all sorts of trouble. She asked me if I would play "big brother" and try and give the kid a bit of guidance. (What the hell was she thinking?). Knowing that this kid was into Mustangs, I took him with me to the Vintage Fall Festival at Lime Rock Park the year Saleen was the featured marque. Steve Saleen was there. My friend's cousin, who very obviously had no money whatsoever and no hope of getting any (legally) in the near future, went up to Steve Saleen and started asking questions. Saleen did not brush him off. In fact, Saleen talked to him for a good 15 minutes, treating him like he was a guy with $100,000.00 in his pocket, ready to put it down on a few Saleens, and not like the penniless kid he was. I was impressed.

This is a rare Saleen Focus. Until tonight, I had no idea that there was such a thing. Saleen built two versions of this car, the S121 and the N20. The N2O came with a nitrous kit that boosted the 150 HP stock engine to a whopping 225 HP. The S121 basically used a free flow exhaust to achieve 160 HP.

This car is an S121. Besides the 10 extra horsepower, you get all the traditional Saleen touches; an improved suspension, Saleen body kit and graphics, different tires and wheels, customized interior components, and upgraded brakes.

The body kit is a bit over the top and I could do without the graphics, but the rest of the stuff most likely makes the Focus a fun to drive car.

This car is #72 of 175 built. It has just over 59,000 miles on it and looks to be in very nice condition.

This is not my type of car, but it's rare and different and I thought I should point it out. The asking price of $10,000 is reasonable if you think about what other "economy" cars are out there for that price. Yes, you could get a newer Civic, stock Focus, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, etc., etc., but none of those cars would have the exclusivity of the Saleen name. I'm also pretty certain that none would be as fun to drive as this car.

Located in Kansas City, MO, click here to see the eBay listing.

A big thanks to JaCG reader, Russ, for sending me the link to this car!