Nineteen Ninety Something Ben-Dera Ford

Today is April 1. I was going to do an April Fools Day car. The plan was to have a friend of mine who is a graphic artist create a car. I was then going to write some ludicrous text about it. Unfortunately, it didn't quite come together in time.

So, instead of an April Fools Day joke, I present to you this car. Last night, JaCG reader, Steve, sent me a link to a discussion about this car. This is a real car. In its creator's mind it's not a joke. Still, it's perfect for April 1.

Instead of writing about this car, I'm giving you a map to follow. It's the same map I followed last night.

Steve found a post on the MyE28.com forum. You can see it here. Someone posted a link on the MyE28.com to site called Nuts & Bolts - The 1AAuto Blog. That site posted a reprint of a pretty extensive Car & Driver article about the car, which you can find here. In doing a little research I discovered that a post on a VWVortex.com forum is what got the folks at 1AAutoblog buzzing about this car. The VWVortex.com post is here. (The post is titled "What the hell did I just see??!")

The car is legitimately registered in Ohio.

To the best of my knowledge, this car is not for sale. Not that it matters. I can't see any reason why you'd want to own it. (Unless you have a serious need for attention.) You have to give it's creator credit for having the vision (that's probably not the right word) and the determination to build it, though.

There are some subtle differences - not that anything is subtle about this car - between the car in the pictures and the one featured in Car and Driver. Is it possible that there was more than one of these built???

Definitely check out the Car & Driver article.